What Next After Kidsby Mamapumpkin
Posted on 12 August 2015
Although my kids are still pretty much kids, I am at a stage where they are both school going (yipee!!) and I no longer have to pander to their every need 24/7. Gosh, what a ride that was! 10 whole years of sacrifice all to the kids. As a Stay-At-Home-Mom, I was always advised to keep a bit of myself for myself and that meant either having a hobby, or working part-time, or doing some volunteer work, anything as long as the mind is active and does not only revolve 24/7 around the kids. One would go mental and seriously lose a lot of self-esteem plus not to mention that once the kids leave the nest, you’d be crippled.
So listen up, women. Get your me time. Whatever it is, whatever it takes, you either have a project going or take time out to be by yourself, do something. Anything. Better still if it is productive. For me, being productive always means helping other women or children. You could have your own definition but better still if whatever you do actually contributed to the family income, wouldn’t that be fantastic? Your brains and time spent at University wouldn’t be in cold storage then.
So what could a Stay-At-Home-Mom do for money considering there is already so little time after all the dishes and laundry and cooking and cleaning are done?
If you have a helper, great. If you don’t, you just need to be that much more disciplined but it can be done and I am pure testament to that. Many of us waste far too much time on Facebook when some of that time could be spent more productively. I’m not saying Facebook is bad. It’s not. It’s a great tool for many reasons but is reading and posting about what you ate yesterday going to change your life? Of course you can read about who did what and who wore what. I’m just saying out of the very little time that you already have, spend a portion of it doing something productive.
You never know what some back up funds could do on a rainy day.
A family emergency could happen. Or your husband could have a change of heart and take a hike. These are all very real things. We of course pray that it never happens, but is it not wise to just be prepared even if a little? In my course of work, I have experienced SO MANY WOMEN being stuck. They are stuck because they never had the forethought to keep something for themselves and when shits hit the fan, they are well and truly stuck with not enough options.
What are the ways Stay-At-Home-Moms can earn an income?
- Blog - I started a blog when my first born was about 2 years old and began earning USD4-5 thousand monthly very soon after. But then blogosphere got crowded and I got pregnant again and then went back to full time employment for a bit so the blog got put aside for awhile. It is now active again! Starting a blog is easy. You just need to google for answers which is what I did. If you want advice from me, you can contact me too and I will help wherever I can. It takes many years of experience to know what works and what doesn’t and I have experimented with various blogs to learn all that.
- Write for others - This is if you can write, you could be a freelance writer for advertising agencies who are always on the lookout for part-timers. You could also write for corporates who want to promote their annual reports or brochures. All you need to do is to have samples of your writing in hand and inform them that you are available. Probably easier if you went through people who are connected to these people. I have done this too and have made at least RM50,000 from my writing projects.
- Online Postings - People actually pay for these kind of things! Finding something you could do from the computer is an easy and fast way to save some pocket money. You could do data entry, surveys, help with marketing posts, you name it. This is also something I have done before and is a good way to earn if you do not like moving about. Hahaha.
- Bake - there are many, many Moms baking for income which means lots of competition but there is only one you. If you can bake, there are always people out there who would value cake! Or anything else. Like me. I’m too lazy to bake these days so I’d most likely order from you instead if your cake tastes good.
- Start a little home business - this could be anything from making something to being a trader to being a marketing affiliate. Why ever not? Get out of your comfort zone and start a business where you will be in complete control of your life. Who knows, the business could boom one day and your entire family would be set for life.
- Failing which, allow me to interview you and I will think of what you could do for a living from home. Seriously, you just need to be creative. Everyone has talent that can be sold to someone else. Actually, I should start this business on what to recommend for Stay-At-Home-Moms to do to earn an income! If you are interested, send me your CV and tell me what you like to do and I will find you a work from home job based on your interests, your time that you want to put in versus how much money you would like to make.
Do something productive, ladies. Always have a backup plan. Assuming you are already very wealthy financially, go out to help others then. Instead of spending every waking moment in front of the TV, spend some time actually building something for yourself. Something that gives you satisfaction. Something that makes you happy. What is it? Go find it.
Most popular blog entries at Mamababyworld.comNobody told me THIS about breastfeeding!!! by Mamapumpkin
Breastfeeding For The Travelling Mom by Mommy Lyna
Amber Chia’s Little Darling Ashton Misses Home by Amber Chia
Having a Physically Disabled Child? No Sweat. by Mommy Lyna
Fun with Fondant by MayTM
Oops, I Did It Again! – How to Switch Bag without Forgetting Anything by Mommy Lyna
Why All Moms Should Blog by Intan
Amber Chia’s Little Darling Ashton just turned ONE year old! by Amber Chia
Paying Attention to Your Children by Mamapumpkin
Amber Chia - The Joy of Motherhood by Amber Chia