How To Take Care Of Umbilical Cord?
Always keep the umbilical stump clean and dry.
- Clean the base of the stump with a cotton bud dipped in warm water. You may use a little rubbing alcohol to minimize the risk of infection.
- You can also wash the stump with plain water or a mild soap. Make sure you pat the area before re-diapering your baby.
- Fold the diaper down to leave the stump exposed to air.
- Don’t pull the stump in an attempt to break it off.
- It is normal to see a little blood or lumpy fresh after the stump falls off.
- Your baby is ready for a tub bath after the stump falls off.
Photos and article are by courtesy of Dr. Khoo Phaik Choo, Consultant Paediatrician
Handy Tips for Moms brought to you by Pet Pet